Monday, October 19, 2009

expletive

does anyone know how to put a child to sleep who won't go to sleep?! the last three nights have been hell. i'm done. i give up. again, and again and again and again. all the books say it's good to have a bedtime routine. we have that. it's good to have a set nap time and nap every day, we have that. it's good to have the same bedtime every night, we have that. she's not scared, because i'm right there, she's not hungry or thirsty because she drinks a gallon of breastmilk. she's not hot or cold because i can feel her temperature. her diaper isn't too tight, she's not itching or twitching. she's not flailing about like she does when it hurts to nurse because her teeth are coming in. WHAT IS IT!???????????????????????????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! one night it's teeth, the next perhaps a disagreement with food, the next it's because she coughed and that ended the slip into sleep which was about to happen. i jiggle my arm to make her mattress "vibrate", i sing, i hum, i'm silent, i do the shhhhhh sound. i try to reason, i try to encourage. i rub, pat, tap her back, i do nothing but lay there. i pretend to go to sleep. i try not to strangle her stuffed animal. she has a "lovey" to keep her company and to hug. she has me to keep her company and to hug. have i left anything out? have i tried everything but letting her cry and cry and cry until she throws up and gives up and passes out? or, should i let her stay up until she's really overtired and actually wants to sleep? actually, she'll stay up until 11:30 i know. maybe i should let her stay up all night and sleep until 12pm...that way we'll be all messed up. HUMANS ARE NOT NOCTURNAL DAMMIT! i give up. again.

2 comments:

Christian said...

Hey cousin,
I'm sorry she's not sleeping for you. I wish I had the answers. My only suggestion is to try to find a place for her to sleep by herself. Christian never did sleep well in our room. Matter of fact 2 weekends ago, we tried to have a "slumber party" with him. About 10 minutes into it, he was laying on his side staring at me. I asked him if he wanted to sleep in his bed. He jumped up and grabbed his blanky and hollered, "nigh night!" and ran to his room and went to sleep. I don't know how much room you have, but maybe if you could have her go shopping with you to pick out a "special" toddler bed and let her help pick out bedding and have her sleep in her own space??? I've heard that if you try to make it seem like they made the decision to do it, it works better.
I really do hope you find something that works for sweet Zoey!
Love you guys :o)
OHHHH - when are you guys coming to FL?

Mary

hippiepotomus said...

I know you're not into the crying thing, but I do think kids have to learn to fall asleep on their own. I have never let Makili cry long enough to puke, but I have let him cry, because I'm a better parent when I get a little shut eye! We also did a transition thing where we'd put him in his crib, but lay down in the room until he fell asleep. Then we transitioned into the same thing, but getting up and leaving the door open, with the excuse that we had to "go potty." Now I can drop that kid off after a few books and he really does put himself to sleep usually. At nap time, we have committed to having him spend 1.5 hours of quiet time in there. He doesn't always sleep. Sometimes he jumps and sings and looks at books, but I don't get upset. I just go get him after 1.5 hours however it worked out. Most times though, he puts himself to sleep. In any case, I think it will be tough on you no matter how you do it. It is hard to say "no" and set boundaries, but I really think it makes for a better relationship all around, because as I've mentioned before, sleep deprivation is a reliable form of torture.

It's funny I'm giving sleeping advice at 1:15am while awake because of my little torture machine. Obviously I don't let me 4 month old cry enough! Just kidding.